Sunday, April 11, 2010

My Not-so-Green Thumb

Okay - so the 2010 gardening season has not gotten off to a great start.  I tried planting my seedlings in some cardboard, biodegradable cups. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I thought a material that could be planted right into the garden would spare the Earth of yet more plastic containers.  Unfortunately, it only took a week before the cardboard cups started to mold and the few seedlings that actually emerged withered and died. So it was back to square one!

I reluctantly reverted back to plastic. This time, I planted Roma tomatoes, jalapeños, banana peppers, yellow, green and red peppers, cayenne peppers and two ornamental peppers.  A few days passed and there were no signs of life in the black plastic cups.  And just as I was about to declare my garden project a complete failed, it was broccoli that come to the rescue.  The little green seedlings look great and I can once again see the faintest glimpse of a green thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment